1. Do the following:
a. Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while scuba diving, including hypothermia, hyperventilation, squeezes, decompression illness, nitrogen narcosis, motion sickness, fatigue, overexertion, heat reactions, dehydration, injuries by aquatic life, and cuts and scrapes.
b. Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person, and explain how to recognize such conditions. Demonstrate the proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
2. Before completing requirements 3 through 6, earn the Swimming merit badge.
3. Discuss the Scuba Diver’s Code with your merit badge counselor, and explain the importance of each guideline to a scuba diver’s safety.
4. Earn an Open Water SCUBA Diver Certification from an organization recognized by the Boy Scouts of America scuba policy.
5. Explain what an ecosystem is, and describe four aquatic ecosystems a diver might experience.
6. Find out about three career opportunities in the scuba industry. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
This summer you can earn the SCUBA Diving Merit Badge, including NAUI Open Water SCUBA Diver Certification, while attending a week of Scouts BSA Resident Camp at Camp Sequassen! The SCUBA Diving Merit Badge program will be available during all seven weeks of camp!
Any Scout, MALE OR FEMALE, whether attending camp with a unit or as a provisional, may participate in the program. Registered adult Scouters may also enroll. Completion of the week long program earns participants the Scuba Diving Merit Badge and NAUI SCUBA Open Water Diver Certification. The program runs Monday through Friday, 9:00 to 5:00, but there will be opportunity to engage in open programs in the evenings.
To enroll, email your name, Troop #, and week attending to: CaptSteve@ScubaConn.com.
Download the MB workbook HERE. Enroll early!! Enrollment deadline is May 31!
© 2019 SCUBA Connecticut – All Rights Reserved
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How old do I need to be to participate in this program?
Scouts must be 14 by June 30th.
2. How much does this program cost?
Cost for the entire program, iincluding SCUBA certification, and all other requirements is $339, plus the cost of the week at camp.
3. How good a swimmer do I have to be?
You must be a blue level swimmer and have earned the Swimming Merit Badge.
4. Are there any other prerequisites?
Having earned First Aid Merit Badge is strongly recommended. Also the BSA requires physician approval for diving on the UHMS medical form. This form is required IN ADDITION to the regular camp physical form.